Skip to main content

Libyan interior minister suspended after gunmen fire on protesters

Libyan interior minister suspended after gunmen fire on protesters
Fathi Bashagha

Libyan UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) on Friday said the interior minister had been suspended after militia gunmen fired on peaceful protesters last week.

“Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha has been temporarily suspended” and will face an inquiry “on his statements about the protests and incidents in Tripoli and other cities”, the GNA said.

He will be questioned on the authorisations and permits granted to the demonstrators, the security arrangements in place and the “violations committed”, it said.

Demonstrations began on Sunday in Tripoli, the seat of the GNA, against poor public services and living conditions, and gunmen fired on the crowd. Similar shootings occurred on Monday and Wednesday.

Gunmen on Wednesday attacked a peaceful demonstration by “firing live ammunition indiscriminately,” Bashagha had said.

The gunmen also kidnapped demonstrators, “sowing panic among the population and threatening security and public order”, he said, promising to “protect unarmed civilians from the brutality of a gang of thugs”.

ALSO READ: Libyans protest corruption, living conditions

At least six people were kidnapped from a Tripoli district by a militia overseen by the GNA, and many others were wounded, according to Human Rights Watch.

Bashagha said in a statement posted on the interior ministry’s Facebook page early on Saturday that he was ready to submit to an investigation.

But he demanded any hearing be broadcast live for the sake of transparency.

Libya has endured almost a decade of violent chaos since the 2011 NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed veteran dictator Moamer Kadhafi.

The country’s main military faultline is between forces that back the GNA and those that support eastern strongman Khalifa Haftar, who runs a rival administration.

But there are also power struggles within each area.

[AFP]

Vanguard News Nigeria.

The post Libyan interior minister suspended after gunmen fire on protesters appeared first on Vanguard News.


https://ift.tt/2D6VmxI by Rasheed Sobowale via Vanguard News Albert Einstein Fools of Fortune

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to jump-start Nigeria economy post-COVID-19 Pandemic

Nwali Tochukwu Watching with consternation the fall out of events, actions, and inactions of our Nigerian leaders on mitigating the negative impact of COVID-19 Pandemic disruptions on our social and economic lives. As a young dynamic business and entrepreneurship writer, and author cum small business owner, what came into my mind as we navigate the storms of COVID-19, was a common English phrase Adages, Proverbs, first recorded in Fuller’s Gnomologia, 1732: ‘A stitch in time saves nine’ which was translated to literally, solve the problems right now! Why procrastinating? If we, as a nation wants to break away from past mistakes, and present mistakes, we should hold the bull by the horn right now. And avoid the roads of political expediency. That is exactly what the stitch in time simply stood for. Promptly address issues posed by Coronavirus. By quickly sewing up of a small hole or tear in a piece of material, so saving the need for more stitching at a later date when the whole ha...

Where is Aguleri Located?

Aguleri is a prominent town often associated with the mighty river called Omabala wgiyflows through it. It is home to a lot of great men and women of Anambra Stare - notably Willie Obiano. History had it that it was the cradle of Igbo people established by Eri, son of Had, son of Jacob (you got to read your Bible babe). Where is Aguleri located? It can be foueat the north eastern part of Nigeria. They share boundaries with Kano, Umueri, Anam and Nando httpss://twitter.com/share https://google.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/google.com https://www.quantcast.com/google.com https://sharedcount.com/?url=https://google.com https://www.similarsites.com/site/google.com https://facebook.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/facebook.com https://www.quantcast.com/facebook.com https://sharedcount.com/?url=https://facebook.com https://www.similarsites.com/site/facebook.com https://youtube.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/youtube.com https://www.quantcast.com/youtube.com ...

Forum of retired Heads of Service, Permanent Secretaries donate N500,000 to Edo COVID-19 fund

Urges residents to complement govt’s efforts to check spread The Edo Forum of Retired Heads of Service and Permanent Secretaries has donated N500,000 to boost the Edo State Government’s response to check the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the state. Chairman of the forum, Mallam Ikhelowa Atalasa Hanson, who made the presentation at Government House, Benin City, said the donation will complement the state government’s effort in deploying resources to fight against the spread of the virus. Ikhelowa said as a body, the retired heads of service and permanent secretaries tasked themselves to support the state government’s unalloyed commitment to protecting Edo people. READ ALSO:  COVID-19: Edo records 60 new cases as govt calls for caution On his part, Vice Chairman of the forum, Sir Xerxes Usiobaifo urged residents in the state to comply with all regulations from Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the state government, noting that COVID-19 is real. He ur...