Skip to main content

ByteDance mulling shutdown of TikTok, if sale isn’t made

TikTok
TikTok’s parent company is getting ready to shut down its American operations in the event that a sale doesn’t materialize in the next few months, according to a report.

President Trump signed an executive order earlier this month ordering ByteDance to sell TikTok’s US business to a “very American company” or be banned from operating in the country.

Though TikTok’s parent, Beijing-based ByteDance, is reportedly on the cusp of reaching a deal with Microsoft and Walmart, it told engineers in a memo to draw up contingency plans to kill the mega-popular video platform, according to Reuters.

The Chinese company is also making separate plans for TikTok’s American employees and vendors to be compensated in the event that the app is banned. TikTok has already implemented a hiring freeze in the US for most open positions due to the uncertainty surrounding its future, according to the report.

ALSO READ: Just in: 3rd victim of the Lagos helicopter crash dies, LASEMA

ByteDance doesn’t anticipate needing to pull the kill-switch, however, and a TikTok spokesperson said in a statement that the company is “confident that we will reach a resolution that ensures TikTok is here for the long run.”

“As any responsible company would do, we are simultaneously developing plans to try to ensure that our US employees continue to get paid in any outcome,” they said.

TikTok CEO Kevin Mayer quit his post on Thursday after reportedly being left out of sale negotiations with both Microsoft and Oracle.

Walmart has confirmed its interest in the app, saying that it envisions TikTok providing it “with an important way for us to reach and serve omnichannel customers as well as grow our third-party marketplace and advertising business.”

NY Post

Vanguard

The post ByteDance mulling shutdown of TikTok, if sale isn’t made appeared first on Vanguard News.


https://ift.tt/3hGOQwJ by Temisan Amoye via Vanguard News Albert Einstein Fools of Fortune

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to jump-start Nigeria economy post-COVID-19 Pandemic

Nwali Tochukwu Watching with consternation the fall out of events, actions, and inactions of our Nigerian leaders on mitigating the negative impact of COVID-19 Pandemic disruptions on our social and economic lives. As a young dynamic business and entrepreneurship writer, and author cum small business owner, what came into my mind as we navigate the storms of COVID-19, was a common English phrase Adages, Proverbs, first recorded in Fuller’s Gnomologia, 1732: ‘A stitch in time saves nine’ which was translated to literally, solve the problems right now! Why procrastinating? If we, as a nation wants to break away from past mistakes, and present mistakes, we should hold the bull by the horn right now. And avoid the roads of political expediency. That is exactly what the stitch in time simply stood for. Promptly address issues posed by Coronavirus. By quickly sewing up of a small hole or tear in a piece of material, so saving the need for more stitching at a later date when the whole ha...

Where is Aguleri Located?

Aguleri is a prominent town often associated with the mighty river called Omabala wgiyflows through it. It is home to a lot of great men and women of Anambra Stare - notably Willie Obiano. History had it that it was the cradle of Igbo people established by Eri, son of Had, son of Jacob (you got to read your Bible babe). Where is Aguleri located? It can be foueat the north eastern part of Nigeria. They share boundaries with Kano, Umueri, Anam and Nando httpss://twitter.com/share https://google.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/google.com https://www.quantcast.com/google.com https://sharedcount.com/?url=https://google.com https://www.similarsites.com/site/google.com https://facebook.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/facebook.com https://www.quantcast.com/facebook.com https://sharedcount.com/?url=https://facebook.com https://www.similarsites.com/site/facebook.com https://youtube.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/youtube.com https://www.quantcast.com/youtube.com ...

Forum of retired Heads of Service, Permanent Secretaries donate N500,000 to Edo COVID-19 fund

Urges residents to complement govt’s efforts to check spread The Edo Forum of Retired Heads of Service and Permanent Secretaries has donated N500,000 to boost the Edo State Government’s response to check the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the state. Chairman of the forum, Mallam Ikhelowa Atalasa Hanson, who made the presentation at Government House, Benin City, said the donation will complement the state government’s effort in deploying resources to fight against the spread of the virus. Ikhelowa said as a body, the retired heads of service and permanent secretaries tasked themselves to support the state government’s unalloyed commitment to protecting Edo people. READ ALSO:  COVID-19: Edo records 60 new cases as govt calls for caution On his part, Vice Chairman of the forum, Sir Xerxes Usiobaifo urged residents in the state to comply with all regulations from Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the state government, noting that COVID-19 is real. He ur...