Skip to main content

Niger Poll: Outgoing president’s right-hand man in early lead

Niger Poll: Outgoing president’s right-hand man in early lead

Former minister, Mohamed Bazoum, was comfortably ahead in Niger’s weekend presidential election held against the backdrop of jihadist violence, partial results showed Wednesday.

Bazoum, the designated successor of outgoing President Mahamadou Issoufou, garnered more than half a million in a first batch of 1.2 million ballots, the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI) said.

Around 7.4 million people were registered to vote in the presidential ballot on Sunday, which coincided with legislative polls.

The first batch of ballots represents about one-third of the poor West African country’s villages and municipalities.

Bazoum’s closest rival among 29 other contenders is former president Mahamane Ousmane with 168,000 votes, CENI said.

Campaigning was overshadowed by insecurity, with Niger battered by jihadists on its southwestern border with Mali as well as its southeastern frontier with Nigeria.

ALSO READ: Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush

Hundreds have died in the past five years in Niger, and hundreds of thousands have fled their homes.

Bazoum, 60, a former interior and foreign minister, hopes to clinch victory in the first round, which would be a first in the former French colony.

The election is already historic in the sense that it could seal a first peaceful handover between elected presidents.

President Mahamadou Issoufou, who was elected in 2011 after the country’s last coup in 2010, is voluntarily stepping down after two five-year terms.

Bazoum campaigned on promises of emphasising security and education, especially for young girls in a country with the world’s highest fertility rate —  7.6 children per woman

Among the other candidates is Ibrahim Yacouba, a former foreign minister who came in fifth in 2016 and was also fifth in the partial results from Sunday’s vote.

He ruled out a first-round victory, telling AFP: “The level of frustration among Nigeriens negates any chance of a knock-out blow. There will be a second round.”

He said he was concerned that the election had been “massively corrupted by the ruling party’s money.”

If there is a second round, it will be on February 20.

[AFP]

Vanguard News Nigeria

The post Niger Poll: Outgoing president’s right-hand man in early lead appeared first on Vanguard News.


https://ift.tt/2WXQW2C by Rasheed Sobowale via Vanguard News Albert Einstein Fools of Fortune

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to jump-start Nigeria economy post-COVID-19 Pandemic

Nwali Tochukwu Watching with consternation the fall out of events, actions, and inactions of our Nigerian leaders on mitigating the negative impact of COVID-19 Pandemic disruptions on our social and economic lives. As a young dynamic business and entrepreneurship writer, and author cum small business owner, what came into my mind as we navigate the storms of COVID-19, was a common English phrase Adages, Proverbs, first recorded in Fuller’s Gnomologia, 1732: ‘A stitch in time saves nine’ which was translated to literally, solve the problems right now! Why procrastinating? If we, as a nation wants to break away from past mistakes, and present mistakes, we should hold the bull by the horn right now. And avoid the roads of political expediency. That is exactly what the stitch in time simply stood for. Promptly address issues posed by Coronavirus. By quickly sewing up of a small hole or tear in a piece of material, so saving the need for more stitching at a later date when the whole ha...

Where is Aguleri Located?

Aguleri is a prominent town often associated with the mighty river called Omabala wgiyflows through it. It is home to a lot of great men and women of Anambra Stare - notably Willie Obiano. History had it that it was the cradle of Igbo people established by Eri, son of Had, son of Jacob (you got to read your Bible babe). Where is Aguleri located? It can be foueat the north eastern part of Nigeria. They share boundaries with Kano, Umueri, Anam and Nando httpss://twitter.com/share https://google.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/google.com https://www.quantcast.com/google.com https://sharedcount.com/?url=https://google.com https://www.similarsites.com/site/google.com https://facebook.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/facebook.com https://www.quantcast.com/facebook.com https://sharedcount.com/?url=https://facebook.com https://www.similarsites.com/site/facebook.com https://youtube.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/youtube.com https://www.quantcast.com/youtube.com ...

Forum of retired Heads of Service, Permanent Secretaries donate N500,000 to Edo COVID-19 fund

Urges residents to complement govt’s efforts to check spread The Edo Forum of Retired Heads of Service and Permanent Secretaries has donated N500,000 to boost the Edo State Government’s response to check the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the state. Chairman of the forum, Mallam Ikhelowa Atalasa Hanson, who made the presentation at Government House, Benin City, said the donation will complement the state government’s effort in deploying resources to fight against the spread of the virus. Ikhelowa said as a body, the retired heads of service and permanent secretaries tasked themselves to support the state government’s unalloyed commitment to protecting Edo people. READ ALSO:  COVID-19: Edo records 60 new cases as govt calls for caution On his part, Vice Chairman of the forum, Sir Xerxes Usiobaifo urged residents in the state to comply with all regulations from Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the state government, noting that COVID-19 is real. He ur...