Skip to main content

US military sexual assaults increase again in 2019

US military sexual assaults increase again in 2019

US military sexual assaults increase again in 2019

The number of sexual assaults in the US military increased again in 2019, though at a lower rate than the previous year, according to an annual Pentagon report published Thursday.

The report from the Department of Defense’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office (SAPR) showed the number of assaults and sexual crimes brought to the attention of military authorities rose to 7,825, a three percent increase from 2018.

The year before, such incidents rose 13 percent.

The biggest rise was in the Air Force, which saw a nine percent spike, while the Navy had a five percent increase, the Army’s sexual assaults were up two percent and such reports were down six percent in the Marines.

The report notes that 73 percent of sexual assaults in the military are committed by a superior.

The proportion of military personnel reporting a sexual assault remained steady from the year before, according to the report, at 5.1 per 1,000 people.

ALSO READ: Trump says evidence ties COVID-19 virus to Wuhan lab, threatens tariffs

While the Marines have previously been called out for their especially high number of sexual assaults, this year’s report shows that such cases are becoming more equal between the five branches.

Such reports in the Army remained the same as 2018 at 5.5 per 1,000.

They grew to 5 per 1,000 from 4.8 the year before in the Navy, from 4.3 to 4.6 per 1,000 in the Air Force and decreased among Marines from 5.7 to 5.4 per 1,000.

“One of our prevention efforts over the past year focused on preparing leaders at all levels to better reach our youngest Service members who are most at risk,” said SAPR director Nate Galbraith.

“Helping our newest enlisted leaders and supervisors create healthy unit climates will benefit our military and all those who serve,” he said.

[AFP]

Vanguard News Nigeria.

The post US military sexual assaults increase again in 2019 appeared first on Vanguard News.


https://ift.tt/2Wg88zx by Rasheed Sobowale via Vanguard News Albert Einstein Fools of Fortune

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to jump-start Nigeria economy post-COVID-19 Pandemic

Nwali Tochukwu Watching with consternation the fall out of events, actions, and inactions of our Nigerian leaders on mitigating the negative impact of COVID-19 Pandemic disruptions on our social and economic lives. As a young dynamic business and entrepreneurship writer, and author cum small business owner, what came into my mind as we navigate the storms of COVID-19, was a common English phrase Adages, Proverbs, first recorded in Fuller’s Gnomologia, 1732: ‘A stitch in time saves nine’ which was translated to literally, solve the problems right now! Why procrastinating? If we, as a nation wants to break away from past mistakes, and present mistakes, we should hold the bull by the horn right now. And avoid the roads of political expediency. That is exactly what the stitch in time simply stood for. Promptly address issues posed by Coronavirus. By quickly sewing up of a small hole or tear in a piece of material, so saving the need for more stitching at a later date when the whole ha...

Where is Aguleri Located?

Aguleri is a prominent town often associated with the mighty river called Omabala wgiyflows through it. It is home to a lot of great men and women of Anambra Stare - notably Willie Obiano. History had it that it was the cradle of Igbo people established by Eri, son of Had, son of Jacob (you got to read your Bible babe). Where is Aguleri located? It can be foueat the north eastern part of Nigeria. They share boundaries with Kano, Umueri, Anam and Nando httpss://twitter.com/share https://google.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/google.com https://www.quantcast.com/google.com https://sharedcount.com/?url=https://google.com https://www.similarsites.com/site/google.com https://facebook.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/facebook.com https://www.quantcast.com/facebook.com https://sharedcount.com/?url=https://facebook.com https://www.similarsites.com/site/facebook.com https://youtube.com https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/youtube.com https://www.quantcast.com/youtube.com ...

Forum of retired Heads of Service, Permanent Secretaries donate N500,000 to Edo COVID-19 fund

Urges residents to complement govt’s efforts to check spread The Edo Forum of Retired Heads of Service and Permanent Secretaries has donated N500,000 to boost the Edo State Government’s response to check the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the state. Chairman of the forum, Mallam Ikhelowa Atalasa Hanson, who made the presentation at Government House, Benin City, said the donation will complement the state government’s effort in deploying resources to fight against the spread of the virus. Ikhelowa said as a body, the retired heads of service and permanent secretaries tasked themselves to support the state government’s unalloyed commitment to protecting Edo people. READ ALSO:  COVID-19: Edo records 60 new cases as govt calls for caution On his part, Vice Chairman of the forum, Sir Xerxes Usiobaifo urged residents in the state to comply with all regulations from Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the state government, noting that COVID-19 is real. He ur...